Jai Shri Krushna ,
Parwal a veggie , is from the gourd family , also known as Trichosanthes dioica in English is also known as the pointed gourd. Pointed gourd is a good source of vitamin and minerals. It is a good source of carbohydrates, vitamin A, and vitamin C. It also contains major nutrients and trace elements (magnesium, potassium, copper, sulfur, and chlorine) which are needed in small quantities, for playing essential roles in human physiology. 9.0 mg Mg, 2.6 mg Na, 83.0 mg K, 1.1 mg Cu and 17 mg S per 100 g edible part
It has lot of water content , recommended in Summer season – for its coolant properties . A well known delicacy in the North eastern Gangatic plane , Varanasi, Mathura – Vrundavan – let us try to make this delightful delicacy for our Sewya Swaroop !
- 12 Parwal / Pointed Gourd
- 1 Cup Solidified Milk/ Mawa
- 2-3 tbs – Sugar Powder / Sugar free sweetner
- 10 Almonds finely chopped
- 10 Pistachues finely chopped
- 4 Cardamoms powdered
- 2 Pinches of Saffron strands
- 1/2 cup Sugar for syrup.
1. Wash and peel the Parwal, slit in between and boil slightly for 2 mins.
2. To the boiling water add 1/2 cup sugar and boil till 4 mins- pl. check if the Parwal is done but cruchy still.
3.Drain and strain – allow to cool – scooping the inside , leaving the jacket intact , with a teaspoon.
For Filling –
1. Heat a pan , add the Mawa and saute for 1 min, as it melts add powdered sugar and the chopped dry fruits, saffron , cardamom and mix well.
2. Fill the Parwal jacekts with this filling – when done with all – refrigerate .
3. Serve this pleasant Parwals to Shri Thakurji in Doodh Ghar Samagri – he would love it with a Tulsi leaf atop.